Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week One "...the story of a moment."

 The one thing I learned my first week of Advanced Media Writing was not new to me at all; nevertheless it made an impact on me.
"...the story of a moment," Professor Young said about using the active voice in writing. That caught my attention. Like many other writers, I have difficulty staying in the active voice. Passive voice is frowned upon, especially in media writing. I am not yet comfortable with grammar and spelling has never been one of my strong points. Active voice never appealed to me but the thought that each thing I report on, each feature, news release, announcement and blog entry I write is the story of a moment. One moment, from my point of view and described as objectively and as appealing as possible makes my writing seem unique, to me and to the reader. So that was my moment, in the last class of the day, relearning the basics of media writing and receiving one piece of the puzzle that finally made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment